Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Teaching Times Tables

I just wanted to share a little more about how I'm teaching times tables in our home these days.

There's a lot to be said, and praised, for flash cards and all that, but what should you do to START the process?

Well, they'll need modelling, they'll need the ANSWERS up front. Yep, surprise.  They'll need to know what they're supposed to be learning.

Then they can tuck them away into their little memory train.


I took a plain piece of paper and measured up 3 lines to separate the page into 4's.  Then I use it as a photocopy master to run off as many as I need.

I just write in whatever work they need to memorise.  In our case this weeks work involved the 7x tables.




In like manner I'll be able to add fractions and the other form of division in due time.

Then..........


after all that, you can flash them with cards that don't have the answer.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate you taking the time to visit and leave me messages. Thanks so much.