Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Little Bird's Song

{ The Little Bird's Song }

A little bird, with feathers brown,
Sat singing on a tree;
The song was very soft and low,
But sweet as it could be.

The people who were passing by, 
Looked up to see the bird
That made the sweetest melody
That ever they had heard.

But all the bright eyes looked in vain;
Birdie was very small,
And with his modest, dark-brown coat, 
He made no show at all.

"Why, father," little Gracie said
Where can the birdie be?
If I could sing a song like that,
I'd sit where folks could see."

"I hope my little girl will learn
A lesson from the bird,
And try to do what good she can,
Not to be seen or heard.

This birdie is content to sit
Unnoticed on the way,
And sweetly sing his Maker's praise
From dawn to close of day.

So live, my child, all through your life,
That, be it short or long,
Though others may forget your looks,
They'll not forget your song."


McGuffey Reader - Grade 3 - Lesson XIV


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate you taking the time to visit and leave me messages. Thanks so much.