Friday, January 30, 2015

{ Week 6 }

Can you believe that we're already into week 6 for the year?

This week we had a number of changes to our homeschooling subject curriculum.  Now, while we've been up and running doing English with a workbook I've been agonizing over what to do about Chloe's "writing".  I hadn't actually settled on a particular curriculum until this very week.  Up until now she's just had a fill me in workbook titled:  Climbing to Good English, which has been great, but yeah, I really want her to get along on the business of writing.

Remember too that she's Grade 5 this year.

I've been wanting to go back and try the progymnasmata again via Memoria Press with Classical Composition: Fable, but yeah, that hasn't worked for us yet.  Then I started seriously eyeing off 'Writing & Rhetoric Book 1: Fable' by Classical Academic Press.  I was so close to purchase!  It's still in my cart, but in the end I settled on this:  The Complete Writer: Writing with Skill, book 1 by Susan Wise Bauer.

Just click the picture to go to where you can read about or purchase a copy, just in case you've been wondering about what to do for your 5th graders writing too.  I don't have any affiliates.  I'm just passing along information that's awesome and good for sharing.  I bought the $23.00 pdf { because I'm an instant girl and all }.  It is a hefty 568 page book.



Twenty three dollars for a full years writing curriculum with everything inclusive is a bargain, even more so, I can use it with subsequent children { 4 more of them }.  So an exceptional bargain if I do say so myself.  There is an additional instructors guide available as well.

I highly recommend reading the description on their website.  I also perused a number of online reviews for the product as well.  Between those two things I was sold.

The very first lesson had me hooked. I know, I'm easily excited.  Can't wait to peek over her shoulder throughout the year. One week down, 35 more to go.  :o)

This week Hannah wanted to do a heap of Greek.  Here she is working on her alphabet.


One of the days we did the following for our "activity".  Just click the photo to go and visit Leslie's shop on TpT.  I thought it was great for $1.50.  I can't wait to get some more of them.  She has them in all sorts of different themes.


The girls also pulled out our Rod and Staff English text books.  I suppose that's one of the advantages to having all sorts of curriculum just laying around:  when you get tired and want to do something else, you can.


Another activity we added in this week:


This mapping activity was found FREE.
Just click either picture to go and grab your copy.


Yesterdays English work for Hannah { 5 }.
1st draft - essay on Zebras.


This week the girls listened to this french nursery rhyme:



Today I'll be linking up with:

Weekly Wrap-Up

and



I hope you will join us.

Thanks for visiting.


3 comments:

  1. I love the writing books from MP. I tried something else this year and we went back to MP. It is interesting how one things works for one child and not for another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been eyeing Writing with Skill. We're using 2 books from the Writing & Rhetoric series this year but I think we'll be ready for WWS next year (it looks really good!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh that book looks good. I might have to get it and put it in the options pile. I ended up buying the climbing to good English series and we are starting on that this year for s few have finished the fitzroy program. I find I am never happy with the English programs for the older kids so I am always searching.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to visit and leave me messages. Thanks so much.